07/03/2018 0 Comments
Problems Caused by Hearing Loss
Hearing loss means more than simply not hearing well – people with hearing loss have reported a range of problems that have a negative effect on their lives or on the lives of people around them.
Hearing loss can also cause changes to the body’s immune system, increasing the risk of illness – working people with hearing loss tend to have more sick leave than those with normal hearing.
- Fatigue due to listening effort (e.g. in noisy surroundings)
- Frustration, depression
- Increased frequency of illness and hospital visits
- Impaired memory and ability to learn new tasks
- Significantly increased risk of developing dementia
- Diminished psychological and overall health
- Loneliness, social isolation
- Reduced job performance and salary
- Impact on travel, activities with friends, events